This is the slightly negative part of the Bitcoinists NFT NYC report. For an introduction and the silver lining of the event, click here.
Since we will quote this CNBC report Later, let’s paint a picture of NFT NYC with your words.
“Inside the nearby Marriott Marquis, where the conference has leased six floors, crowds filled the halls, flanked by vendors who took up almost all the available space. Many in the crowd, mostly men in their teens to late 30s, were in a perpetual state of presenting their idea of how to improve what everyone seems to agree is the future of digital art and collectibles.”
That is all. Let’s go to the Tweets, videos and images.
ETH price chart for 06/25/2022 on Binance | Source: ETH/USD on TradingView.com
The NFT NYC Conference – The Bad
Let’s get to what you were really looking for, NFT NYC’s own brand of shame.
- Does this image show the reality of the situation at NFT NYC? You be the judge.
NFT mfers on Twitter: “NFT NYC is so lit. I just got super fucked now I’m partying with millionaires and ig models. Aoki ab to act.”
In fact: pic.twitter.com/c4lBsMWIQ3
— Hadj (@niftyHadj) June 20, 2022
- “Something I didn’t like about NFT NYC was that it was too loud. With zero quiet spaces. So I organized mine,” tweeted this pseudonymous NFT collector. And that sounds amazing. However, look at the art they drew. He paints a different picture, if you know what we mean.
One thing I didn’t like about NFT NYC was that it was too noisy. With zero quiet spaces. So I organized my own. Changed schedules to accommodate people flying. It was small and perfect. We all feel dead 😂 so we painted that 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/4o02jhxw8j
— Vissyarts (@vissyarts) June 24, 2022
- This is a joke? What kind of panel is this and why did they allow this man to use this vehicle? Also, there is no one in the front rows.
NFT NYC in seven seconds. You are not missing anything. 💀 pic.twitter.com/hEwRH688FX
— Autism Capital 🧩 (@AutismCapital) June 22, 2022
- The Apefest was an NFT NYC satellite event for Bored Ape Yacht Club holders. Were there only men there? This is how it looks in the video.
God help me. This is ApeFest rn pic.twitter.com/BQJE3AymRi
— Biggs (@BiggsCrypto) June 23, 2022
- Of course, that video was shot during the day. At night, legends like Lil Wayne, Eminem, Snoop Dog, Bun B, The Roots and Future played. So it couldn’t have been that bad. However, was this the VIP section? Let’s hope this is a joke.
The VIP section of Apefest 💀 pic.twitter.com/tF6Z0g0O6T
— ricefarmer.eth 🍚 📍NYC (@RiceFarmerNFT) June 21, 2022
- Speaking of Snoop Dogg, the CNBC article says: “At one point in a Marriott hallway, a security guard cleared the way for someone who appeared to be rapper Snoop Dogg, who sells brand-name NFTs. Only upon closer inspection did it become clear that the man was a copycat hired by an NFT company, and that his official conference badge read “Doop Snogg.”
Shit that name tag though https://t.co/s4e3TOJQCK pic.twitter.com/3sHo1hqgBY
— amosmelli (@regiscake) June 21, 2022
That’s pretty embarrassing, but apparently, it was a marketing ploy by some company. Does that make it better? You be the judge.
NFT-NYC meets Doop Snogg… pic.twitter.com/T9w28UsEc6
— Fair.xyz (@fairxyz) June 22, 2022
- Speaking of marketing strategies, the NFT NYC protesters whose photos invaded social media had to be fake. They just had to do it. The signs are too funny to be true.
nft enemies in new york pic.twitter.com/C9iTkDZkDn
— Loopify 🧙♂️ (@Loopifyyy) June 20, 2022
- A not-so-enthusiastic review of the event from Alex’s best friend.
My best friend’s reaction to attending NFT NYC pic.twitter.com/y9vQcfsKQh
— Alex (@AlexLi98) June 23, 2022
The NFT NYC Conference – The Ugly
Let’s end this with unclassifiable moments that are neither good nor bad. However, most of it is ugly.
- This video of Goblin Town actors speaking a made-up language became a viral hit. Not in a good way. However, as you saw before, it did not financially affect the NFT collection.
— 1 👁 willie | 4942.eth |🔺👁🔺 🦇🔊 (@willONEeye) June 21, 2022
Here’s a less popular but equally gruesome video of the same actors.
– FEW (@fewocious) June 21, 2022
- A “who’s who”? Really? NFT influencer Carlos Gil tweeted: “My favorite moment from NFT NYC was this. If you look closely, it’s a “who’s who” of the NFT industry; we were all trying to get into one of the best parties ever thrown by Goblin Town.”
– CarlosGil.eth (@carlosgil83) June 25, 2022
- We couldn’t find a video of the interior of the Goblin Town party, but this one from Azuki’s party looks pretty terrible.
— iₘiLLₑᵣ (@IanMiller00) June 24, 2022
- “NFT NYC is just a huge transfer of wealth from degens to Uber drivers,” this attendee tweeted. That’s hilarious.
NFT NYC is just one big transfer of wealth from degens to Uber drivers.
— NFTstatistics.eth (@punk9059) June 23, 2022
- This guy thought it was a good idea to ask Michaela out using a giant billboard.
— MenaceToSociety 🥶 (@NFTsAreNice) June 21, 2022
It was not a good idea. Absolutely.
- Is this an honest review of the event or someone who doesn’t know how to party? You be the judge. “NFT NYC had almost zero sessions on how to move technology forward. Paid models dancing with socially awkward siblings are not going to move Web3 forward.”
— ChillOn Musk (wolfofcryptostreet.eth) (@wolfofcryptosr) June 24, 2022
- Speaking of paid models, maybe this wasn’t the best gig for them. “My hot model friends get paid to go to NFT NYC events and I quote “We have to stay until the end and I literally feel trapped,” Lucy Guo tweeted.
My hot model friends get paid to go to NFT NYC events and I quote “We have to stay until the end and I literally feel trapped” 😂
— Lucy Guo (Recruitment Engineers and Designers) (@lucy_guo) June 22, 2022
Paid models weren’t alone in the sentiment. “I feel so much more empathy for models now that I’ve been a woman on NFT NYC after 10pm,” Bri Connelly tweeted.
I have a lot more empathy for models now that I’ve been a woman on NFT NYC after 10pm
—Bri Connelly (@web3ri) June 23, 2022
And on that spooky note, our coverage of the event ends. Remember, you can always click here to see the positive part of this report.
See you next year, if the NFT industry recovers.
Featured Image: Goblin Town actors, screenshot from this video | Charts by TradingView