If you’re looking to buy a crypto domain but aren’t sure how we’ve got you covered. Maybe you’re in the process of buying a domain or just want to learn; In any case, by the end of this article, you will know how to buy and own a crypto domain.
In this guide to decentralized domains, we will cover the basics of crypto domains and the step-by-step process to purchase one. We will be the mother goose that will guide our ducklings to a safe place.
For this guide, we are using crypto domain registrar unstoppable domains As our follow-up example, it is one of the most popular and trusted providers. Nevertheless, other registrars they include Ethereum Name Service (ENS), Emercoin, and Peername, all of which offer Web 3.0 alternatives to blockchain domains, such as .crypto, .eth, .btc, and more.
So, take a seat – we’ll go from step one to the end in less than 8 minutes.
Before we start buying a crypto domain, let’s go over the basics.
What is a crypto domain?
Before buying a crypto domain, it is important to understand how they differ from traditional domains.
A traditional domain is rented from a domain registrar like Google domains either go daddy. It must be renewed every year and is the property of the registrar. Yes, rented: you don’t actually “own” a web-2 domain.
Crypto domains are represented by non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and can be purchased to own. They have no central point of failure and allow users to post without censorship.
As of June 2022, more than 2 million crypto domains have been registered with unstoppable domains, with popular options including .crypto, .nft, .x and .eth.
Many crypto domains can be used as public crypto addresses, meaning they can be used to accept and receive cryptocurrencies, tokens, and even NFTs. If you want to better understand crypto domains, you can find a more detailed description using our crypto domains guide.
Now is the time to buy your crypto domain. For this guide, you will need access to unstoppable domains and a MetaMask Wallet. If you haven’t set up a wallet, you can use our Metamask Guide.
Very important: Since a crypto domain is like any other token, it can also be hacked. Make sure you take the proper steps to prevent your private key from being in the hands of malicious third parties. Ledger, a hardware wallet, offers NFT hosting and must support crypto domains.
How to Buy a Crypto Domain at Unstoppable Domains
Let us begin.
- Start by heading over to Unstoppable Domains atand register for an account. You can sign up using your email, Google account, or by connecting your wallet.
2. After you sign in to your account, find the domain you want to buy. You’ll get access to several crypto domain options, including:
You can choose which domain you want based on the purpose of your site. In general, .crypto domains are the most popular.
3. Add the domain to your cart and click “Continue to cart”. Please review your order to make sure you have the correct domain. Click “Pay” and enter your payment details. At this stage, you will be asked to create an account if you don’t already have one. Remember, this is a one time purchase..
There are several options to pay. If you choose to pay through crypto.com, you can get a 10% discount on your order. To do this, click Crypto.com Pay at the bottom. A QR code will appear; scan it with your crypto.com app and make the payment.
4. You now own a crypto domain. Nevertheless, you have to claim it. This is where your MetaMask wallet comes into play. As of May 2022, supported wallets include:
- Coinbase Wallet
Any of these can be used to claim your domain.
How to claim your crypto domain: 10 easy steps
- Return to the Unstoppable Domains Dashboard and click “Domains”. Go to “My domains”.
- To claim your domain, you will need cryptocurrency. The most popular option is ETH. Make sure you have ETH in your MetaMask wallet and click “Claim with ETH”.
- Click to have the code emailed to you.
- Wait for the email in your inbox. If it doesn’t arrive within 5 minutes, please check your spam folder. Once you’ve arrived, copy the code and paste it back into Unstoppable Domains.
- Next, you need to choose the wallet to claim. Select “Web Wallet 3”.
- Connect to your MetaMask wallet using the popup button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. It is essential to make sure you have the correct wallet address since this action is irreversible.
- Sign the transaction in MetaMask. This can be done through your extension.
- is now a waiting game. The claim process can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. In your wallet, you will see a pending claim.
- When the claim ends, a the manage domains button will appear on your dashboard. Congratulations, you will now be the owner of a crypto domain!
Final Thoughts: You now own a crypto domain. What should you do with it?
Now that you own a crypto domain, you can do whatever you want with it. The most common use case is for a business or personal website, although your domain can also be used to accept cryptocurrency if you want to do crypto transactions.
Alternatively, many investors view crypto domains as long-term investments, hoping to buy a domain and sell it later at a higher price. As the popularity of crypto domains continues to rise, so will the value of the domains themselves.
As of June 2022, crypto domains can cost anywhere from $10 to $50, depending on the domain you are buying. So if you’re interested in buying a domain, you may not want to wait too long. We cannot promise that the price of a domain today will be the same a year from now.