Simon Cohen might now have Australia’s biggest and most well-known buyers agency, but when he started Cohen Handler says people thought he was crazy.
It was 2009, the market was coming out of the GFC, no one really knew what a buyers agent was, and the real estate industry wasn’t sure how buyers agents fit into the transaction puzzle.
A lot has changed since then. courtesy of Luxury listings SydneySimon is a household name now, but long before he became a star on the hit reality series, his business built a reputation for securing clients the right properties at the right price.
In this episode of the Elevate podcast with Elite Agent Managing Editor Smantha McLean, Simon discusses the challenges he overcame starting a buyer’s agency, including how he built his reputation on strong relationships and the skills a good buyer’s agency needs. buyers bring to the table in any market. .
Provides a preview of the upcoming season of luxury listingsnoting that this season is likely to be the best yet with a compelling mix of impressive properties, a dash of drama, and some great deals and deals.
Simon also discusses his friendship with co-star Gavin Rubinstein, revealing the role Gavin played in getting Simon’s business off the ground.
And he shares an insight into how he found his way as a successful agent in one of Australia’s toughest real estate regions, with some big names in the industry who influenced and inspired his career.
Now leading a national company with more growth plans ahead, Simon discusses how his business has grown and diversified beyond his expectations, but why it’s always about honesty and integrity and meeting an obvious customer need. .
Then there’s the story of Simon’s first deal, involving some initiative, some rookie skill, and his mom’s car. He was 12 years old, the deal was perfect and he sparked a lifelong love of sales.
Honest, humble and committed to real estate best practice, Simon shares a rare glimpse into how he saw a gap in the market, stood up to the negativity and built Australia’s largest buyers agency.
“I believe your reputation is everything and whatever you do, whether you’re a sales agent or a buying agent, your reputation will follow you wherever you go.” – Simon Cohen.
Do you want to know more about Simon Cohen? He is our spring issue cover. To get your copy of the latest Elite Agent magazine (and much more), sign up to become a Pro member here.
Simon and Samantha also argue:
- Why Simon felt a buyers agency was needed in Australia and how he overcame the hurdles of educating clients and estate agents about its value.
- The lessons Simon learned in a tough market and how they set him up for long-term success.
- The skills a buyer’s agent needs, the value they offer, and why the best turn to them time and time again.
- How Simon’s business has grown and evolved into a national brand, but why it remains a family-at-heart operation.
- What it’s like to work with his mom, why Simon wouldn’t have it any other way, and the unique value Jen Cohen brings.
- How Luxe Listings Season 3 will deliver more drama, more deals, more deals, properties with a real wow factor and Australia’s favorite celebrity.
- The impact the show has had on Simon’s business and how it helped create a better understanding of what buyers’ agents do.
- What’s next for Simon Cohen, including his plans for growth and expansion in the coming years.
- Simon’s top tips for anyone considering becoming a purchasing agent, including the changes you’re seeing in the market and why now is a great time to hone your skills.
And much much more…
Mentioned Links and Resources
Simon Cohen on the elite agent
Connect with Simon Cohen