Good morning, today is Saturday June 11th.
🌊 Congratulations to the Rogers High School class of 2022 on their graduation last night!
🌊 On Friday afternoon, the City of Newport informed residents that certain online services and features will be temporarily unavailable as IT staff work to resolve an ongoing outage affecting the City’s internal servers.
🌊 In the market for a home in Newport County? Take a look at these 20 Open Houses taking place this weekend.
🌊 Catch up on everything that happened at the Rhode Island General Assembly this week with these highlights.
🌊 For the first time in more than eight years, Rhode Island is getting a new medical cannabis compassion center: Sweetspot Dispensary in South Kingstown.
🌊 Kevin Beachem, Head Brewer at Taproot Brewing Company in Newport Vineyards, was an expert for this story on UPROXX: Craft Beer Experts Reveal Their Favorite Lagers on Earth
🌊 Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division Newport will be holding a recruitment event for science, technology, engineering, and math and information technology (IT) careers on Wednesday, June 29.
🌊 Water Watch: Gooseberry Beach is still on the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) closure list due to high bacteria levels. It is currently the only closed beach in the state due to the high level of bacteria.
RIDOH also advises avoiding Almy Pond in Newport due to blue-green algae.
Partially treated sewage is reaching the Blackstone River in Woonsocket, please avoid the area around the Woonsocket Regional Sewage Treatment Plant.
🌊 Here’s what the Rhode Island Department of Transportation and the Rhode Island Highway and Bridge Authority have available for construction, delays, and closures over the next week.
What’s happening today
- Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Light and variable wind becoming south at 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
- Tonight: A slight chance of showers after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southwest wind between 3 and 6 mph. The probability of precipitation is 20%.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt passing S 5 to 8 kt in the afternoon. Partly sunny. Waves of 1 foot or less.
- Tonight: variable winds of 5 knots or less. A slight chance of showers after midnight. Waves of 1 foot or less.
- Coastal water temperature: 61°F.
sun, moon and tide
- Sunrise: 5:10 a.m. | Sunset: 20:19 | 15 hours and 8 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 5:28 am and 6:01 pm | Low tide at 11:01 am.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 10.8 days, 84% illumination.
Things to do
- @ The Deck – GRW Trio from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Live Music from 9:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Bar & Board: Mel at 7:30 p.m.
- Blue Anchor Grill: Live music at 6:30 p.m.
- Buskers: Brian Twohey at 9pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm
- Dockside: Fast Times at 10 p.m.
- Greenvale Vineyards: Dick Lupino’s Jazz Quartet from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- JPT Film & Event Center: Downton Abbey 2: A New Era at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Landing: Nick Sproviero at 1:00 p.m., CBD at 4:30 p.m., and Jake Kulak Band at 8:00 p.m.
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 p.m., Jim Devlin at 4:30 p.m., Chelley Knights at 8 p.m.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: The Travelin’ Wanna B’s at 9:30pm
- Narragansett Café: The Teleydnes from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Chopville at 9 p.m.
- One Pelham East: Live music at 4:30 p.m., Never In Vegas at 8:30 p.m., DJ at 11 p.m.
- Countercurrent: Blockhead at 9:30 p.m.
- Shops at Long Wharf: Black Lights from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Speakeasy: live music at 22:00
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players at 7pm and 9pm
- The Reef: Live music from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Live music from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- There are no scheduled meetings.
The latest from WUN
Concert Recap & Photos: Kyshona Opens Season at Norman Bird Sanctuary
Curry scores 43 to beat Boston and Warriors tie 2-2 in NBA Final
Regenerative Medical Clinic, Dumpster Business, Chopmist Charlie’s and other businesses currently for sale in Rhode Island
The US Open heads to Boston amid a revolutionary battle in golf
Martinez and Dalbec homered as Red Sox beat Mariners 4-3
Gulls walk away against Blue Sox, 5-4
City of Newport offices experiencing a network outage
Highway Report: RIDOT, RITBA Lane Closure Schedule, Highway Construction Projects (June 11-18)
Partially treated sewage still reaches the Blackstone River
Sweetspot dispensary to open in South Kingstown
Obituary: Maria Rosario (Lima) Medeiros
Obituary: Lawrence A. Harrop
Obituary: Deborah Sweat
WPRI – RI to consider deal for Pawtucket soccer stadium
Financial Times – A summer in Newport, the last bastion of America’s golden age
URI Today – URI Economist: RI continues its expansion in April
ecoRI – The latest and cutest from DEM – Turtle Tracker is a dog
EastBayRI – Tiverton planner resigns, citing conflict planning board